The Art Institute of Vancouver hosted a graduation reception last week for its first round of WSET (Wine & Spirits Education Trust) diploma recipients.
To achieve the diploma, one must complete Level 4 of the WSET program, which is no easy feat; in fact it often takes students three years to complete the four units of Level 4.
Sumac Ridge Estate Winery supplied their NV Tribute, a sparkling wine made from chardonnay grapes using the methode classique. This wine was "created to honour world class athletic performance as it takes centre stage at the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympics Winter Games" but served to honour the WSET grads, too.
At the reception to receive their diplomas and celebrate all their hard work were:
- Louise Wilson of Andrew Peller Limited,
- Harry Hertscheg of Vancouver Playhouse Int'l Wine Festival,
- William Johnson of Poplar Grove,
- Tim Ellison of Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts,
- Sarah McCauley of Blue Water Cafe,
- Wes Hunter of Hotel Rialto, and
- Sharon McLean, wine instructor at The Art Institute's Vancouver Island classes, who was recognized for being The Art Institute of Vancouver's top WSET Diploma graduate 2009. To commemorate this achievement, Sharon was awarded a bottle of vintage champagne and an engraved crystal Riedel decanter. But that's not all. Sharon was also recognized for being the top Canadian graduate (including graduates from the BCLDB & those from IWEG in Toronto) and for this she was awarded an an all-expenses-paid two-week study trip to Australia next spring, courtesy of Wine Australia.
Sharon McLean says a few words and thanks study buddy Louise Wilson
From left: Mark Shipway, Harry Hertscheg, Sharon McLean, Louise Wilson,
Wes Hunter, Barb Philip, Michaela Morris, and Tim Ellison
Many people, including instructors, came to the event to show their support to the graduates. And Sachi Singh, manager/instructor at The International Culinary School, made sure everyone's glass was full and the appetizers kept coming.
Betty Verkhuil of Vancouver International Film Festival& Film Centre
and Shelley Hamer-Jackson of Wine Australia celebrate with grads
Sachi Singh makes sure our glasses are full
Copyright © 2009 Kathleen Rake. All rights reserved.